Monday, April 7, 2014

My first snowshoe experience

Today I joined a tour group run by Discover Banff. I was picked up from the hostel this morning and we spent the day out at the beautiful location of Lake Louise.

Our tour guide, Anik took us out via the scenic route and gave a nice history of the region and helped us spot out some of the local wildlife (unfortunately those pics are all on my camera and not on my phone).

We made a few stops before we made it to the Chateau Lake Louise. It is a super fancy hotel but we managed to find a deli which served food at a bit more reasonable price before donning snowshoes (the first time to do that for me) and going for a bit of a walk up to a lookout which looked down over the frozen lake and hotel. It was a bit of a hike up the mountain but definitely worth it.
I still can't get over how much snow there was around. The only other time I have really seen snow was skiing in grade 12 and there we didn't even have close to a 1/6th of the amount of snow piled up around here.

It snowed quite a bit waking up to the lookout, in the above pic you can still see the snow falling on the mountain behind the hotel.

  From there I wandered around the lake a bit, soaked up the scenery and admired the (melted) ice castle they have had here since December.

It was a great day :-) snow is so beautiful.

xx Camille

No comments:

Post a Comment